How to improve the value of your home? This is the question many people have when they are going to sell their house. If you are about to sell your home, these home investment tips can easily improve the value of the home. Some of the tips are very basic like giving importance to attention to details and structural maintenance can easily improve the value of the home. The tips here could cost as low as $500 to as much as $5000 & above easily. But, these are top tips you would need to consider.
Here is a list of top 10 tips to improve the value of your home to given an edge over other sellers:
10. Keep the Home Simple (Declutter)
Different people have different tastes to set up their homes. But, most of the people love to see a tidy and spacious home when they want to buy. Removing unnecessary items from your home will yield better resale value. The best practice is to keep as much fewer items as possible so that the buyer can easily see the space that are available to them. It also makes the house look bigger and spacious. Buyers would choose the home that looks bigger as that is why they are here. They wanted to buy an upgraded home space. This tip is one of the cheapest to carry out and incurs the least maintenance cost.
9. Keep the House Clean Always
First impression is the best impression. A dirty place is never going to sell. A clean house gives a positive impression to the buyer. Go in detail when cleaning the house. It is preferred to conduct a deep clean if your house is older than 10 years. Cleaning the house is one of the most inexpensive ways to increase the value of the house. Regular cleaning is important for a long way to go. A clean house can easily fetch above 5% return on investment. The window sills, floor edges, shelves, mats, tile edges, toilet seats, kitchen sinks and hanging lights – everything in the house should be clean and dust free.
8. Paint the House
The first thing people do when they want to sell their house is to paint it. Painting the house interior and exterior has always been a potential contributor to improve the value of the house. It is not as expensive as one may think when compared to the return on investment you would get. Regular painting is very important to keep the wall surfaces weather proof, insect proof and damage free. The best part of painting is the beauty it adds to the house.
Some tips for painting and to save some money:
- Use neutral colors.
- Look for paint sales before buying.
- Paint the house yourself.
- Use an amazing single color for the entire house.
7. Invest in Good Lighting
A combination of good lighting and photos would go a long way when you are selling the house. A good lighting is very important during the day and evening. Let the light in during the day. Many do not prefer a dark house. A wide window with beautiful curtains to let the sunshine is a very important factor before selling the house. Similarly, the house should be able to provide good amount of quality light during the night. Beautiful lighting like hanging pendant lights, antique lights, false-ceiling lights, contemporary hanging lights or an ethnic table lamp can add charm to the house. Think creative yet simple when setting up your lighting system.
6. Invest in Attractive Flooring
Attractive hardwood flooring is the new way of replacing your carpets which will increase the value of the home. The hardwood flooring is durable as they are made from factory using thin veneer of real quality wood. They also cost less. If you are planning to sell your home, invest in hardwood flooring to raise the resale value. This important home improvement is preferred by almost majority of mid-range and luxury buyers. It also leads to faster sales. It is also recommended to go for hardwood flooring instead of laminate flooring as the quality is more for hardwood and are long-lasting.
Note: In the long run, replacing your carpets with hardwood flooring will help you save lots of money. Carpets need replacement at least 6 to 8 years, but hardwood floors last a long long time.
5. Bring in a Professional Home Inspector
Before you plan to sell your home, bring a professional home inspector to inspect the home for any fixes or issues. It is preferred to get your home inspected from a professional than being inspected by your home buyers. A professional home inspection can show us the details of your home that needs fix. They will be able to access and give details about your roof, gutters, wiring, plumbing and windows. They can also show the details on other unnoticeable fixes and improvement.
4. Upgrade the Bathroom
Bathroom is an important aspect of home improvement and is a real winner for sellers. Just adding a new bathroom to the house can increase the value of the house by up to 15% more. Upgrading an existing bathroom can increase the value of your home by up to 10% or more. Upgrading an existing bathroom may be one of the below:
- Complete remodeling of the bathroom.
- Changing the look, style and colors.
- Fixing the structural problems and leakages.
- Adding new features like an extra basin, heated flooring, bath tub, storage or shower seats.
- Increasing the space of your bathroom.
3. Make the House Energy Efficient
Saving on energy bills is a blessing in disguise. Who would not like to save on the utility bills? A potential buyer prefers his house to consume less energy and in today’s energy-efficient “world” the house should be “Go-Green”. How to make the house energy-efficient? The below tips can easily gear you up towards this:
- Add a central heating system.
- Add solar panels for small-scale electrical and electronic appliances.
- Make a garden on the terrace and around the house for natural cooling.
- Install rain-water harvesting systems.
- Check for electricity leakages and insulate the house.
2. Upgrade the Kitchen
Kitchen is as important as bathrooms. Enhance your kitchen features and design to get good return on investment. Here are some of the things you can do to your kitchen:
- A complete remodel of the kitchen to make it look modern or antique.
- Renovate the kitchen with nice appliances like chimney and traditional oven.
- Paint the kitchen with fresh and neutral colors.
- Invest on nice flooring for the kitchen.
- More storage space for the kitchen yet simple.
- Make it all stainless steel.
- Add an extra feature to the kitchen.
- Increase the space for the kitchen with dining options.
1. Interior Design
Interior design of a home interior is a vast topic to discuss and know. The interior design for a house can be applied to the living room, bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchen and all other space. Doing the interiors is the most expensive but also draws the most return on your investments. A professional interior artist can do a good job. Here are some of the tips when doing your interior design:
- Invest time on some inspiration. Go for the curb appeal. Spin the interiors around your inspiration theme. A themed house increases the value of the house to more than 10 times.
- Furniture is important for fully furnished house or a studio apartment which you are planning to sell. Invest on good quality furniture.
- Add themed wallpapers for your house.
- Add quality photos for the walls.
- Blend your floor and ceiling with your interiors.
- Install larger windows. Large windows are an attractive piece for fetching more value of the home. Add beautiful curtains.
- If you have a small space, then go for small space furniture.
- A complete remodel.